2.05.2012

One month old!


I can't believe the babies are ONE month old. They are so sweet and funny--they melt my heart and make me smile constantly. Not to be corny but I just look at them and think how fortunate I am--all I could think about during my pregnancy was how I wanted 2 healthy babies--that was it. I prayed for it daily. So, not only did I get that but I got a beautiful boy and a beautiful girl--we feel blessed beyond belief.

I also can't believe that I'm still 3 days shy of my official due date (which we would've never reached anyway) but in a way, it's nice to think that I've had an extra month with them:).


We have settled into a routine for the most part. We are feeding every 3 hours during the day and then letting them sleep as long as possible during the night which is typically 4-4.5 hours. It seems like I would have so much more time than I do but when feeding by myself, it takes about one hour per feeding. I haven't figured out a way to feed them at the same time at this young an age. It's just too stressful--you seriously don't have enough hands to wipe spit up, burp, etc. So, I find it's easier to just feed one, burp one, change one and finish. Then, start on the next. Whoever is more fussy gets to go first.

I've been lucky that my mom has been here again but she is leaving this week and I'll be on my own! Time to cut the cord, I guess:). It will definitely be hard because I have relied on her and Nicole so much so I'm trying to figure out a good routine that I can get in to make me feel normal. I think in addition to caring for the babies, if I can just manage to shower, take an afternoon nap, wash 1 load of clothes and empty the dishwasher, then that's probably a good day. Of course, other things seem to pop up as well but my number 1 job right now just needs to be taking care of Mac and Mae. I need to keep reminding myself of that--there are so many other less important things that can wait or just might have to be neglected temporarily. It's hard for someone type A like me, I'm trying to relish in my alter ego of being a more laid back person (it just doesn't come naturally). There is always something to clean or straighten but who really cares, right? That's what I keep telling myself. I really want to enjoy this "infant stage" as much as possible, I know that before I know it, I will miss not having "babies" anymore because they grow up so fast.

I'm so curious to see how much they weigh now. We've tried to put them on a scale and weigh ourselves and then weigh while holding them but it's hard to tell how accurate that would be. It's clear to me that Mac has grown significantly. He definitely doesn't look like a preemie to me anymore. Mae, on the other hand, is still pretty tiny. She will have a lot of really cute clothes that she can wear EVENTUALLY:). Seriously, I think she could wear doll clothes right now. Even the preemie stuff (which is hard to find) is big and the smallest pair of infant socks won't stay on her little feet.

Since the babies were born at 35 weeks, they missed 5 weeks of the most substantial weight gain that most babies get--towards the end of a normal pregnancy, most babies gain a half of a pound a week on average. If they would've been born at 40 weeks (rather than 35), Mac would've been 8 lbs (5 lbs, 4 oz plus 2 lbs, 8 oz) and Mae would've been 6lbs, 4 oz (3 lbs, 12 oz plus 2 lbs, 8 oz) Currently, if I had to estimate, I would say:


Mac- 7.1 lbs
Mae- 5.5 lbs

Last time we went to the pediatrician, he said that he didn't need to seem them until their 2 month appointment which is in mid-March but I think I will try to go there this week to just weigh them. I know that I seem obsessed with their weight but too me, it's the only indicator that I have that they are thriving and healthy. Plus, it will be a good practice outing for me since I haven't taken both of them anywhere on my own yet. Of course, since it's winter and with RSV season, we haven't really wanted to go anywhere anyway :).

This is a long-winded post but I don't want to forget anything. Now, we are hanging out, getting ready to watch the Super Bowl. My dad is on his way here right now and he and my mom are staying a couple more days then heading back. We've got a roast cooking the crock pot to make po-boys..life can't get any better than this:).

No comments: