8.03.2012

30 weeks old (7 months old!)

Whew. I skipped 29 weeks (while we were at the beach) and I feel like we are finally getting back to normal. With my grandfather's passing, the beach trip, my car breaking down, etc.--this month has just been really odd. I'm glad August is here!





EATING- We are now trying to get on a more "grown up schedule".  We are playing around with it some. 3 meals a day and 5 bottles. We've added apples and are planning to try green beans soon. We've also started offering little finger foods like puffs and we are going to work on introducing the sippy cup as well. M&M look so grown up sitting in their booster seats!


SLEEPING- We are getting back on schedule after having some "off" weeks while traveling. Naps seem to be fairly consistent and we are doing better at night.  I still go to sleep not knowing what adventure I'm in store for each night but I'm pretty sure that is part of parenting from what I hear:). We've had a really good week though.


ACTIVITIES- Mac loves the jumper thing that hangs in the doorway...actually, he loves anything that allows him to stand. He might be one of those that doesn't crawl for long once he figures out how to stand.  He can sit up on his own although he doesn't really know it. He still likes to have the boppy behind him for support but he doesn't really need it. We are still working with Mae on sitting up. She is funny though because she has gotten so much more vocal over the last few days--she makes noises that I never thought would come out of her tiny body!

MILESTONES- First time on the beach, first time in the pool, first ride with a hitchhiker!!!!

To explain the hitchhiker:)...unfortunately, on our ride back from the beach, my car started smoking. My mom rode with me (my dad rode on the way there) and so it was Mom, me and M&M.  A very scary situation with infants. We were about 2 hours south of Nashville and 35 miles south of Hunstville, Alabama.  I noticed a light on in my car and handed the manual to my mom to try to see what the light meant. At about the same time, a car pulled up next to me, waving me to get over. When I looked in my rear view mirror to change lanes, I could see dark smoke coming out of the back of my car. Ugh!  We pulled over and the other called pulled over behind us. It was a man and his daughter ( a college student at UT).  He was extremely nice and helpful.  I think Good Samaritans come in many different ways but ours happened to be the father of 2 girls who was an attorney in Nashville driving a Mercedes. He and his daughter had driven to Jasper, Alabama for the day to look at a car to purchase for his 16 year old so they were on their way back to Nashville. He offered to bring us to Nashville in his car. He was even able to fit the majority of my valuables in his trunk. So, we quickly grabbed all of the baby stuff (formula, diapers, etc.), my laptop, etc. and jumped in the car with a total stranger.

It was the toughest decision that I've made as a mom so far but my mom and I both felt comfortable and we loaded in the backseat with both carseats. Plus, the babies needed to eat so we fed them bottles in the car while driving. It was horribly unsafe (not to mention frightening) being on the side of I-65 with 2 babies so we had to make a split second decision and trust our intuition. As it turns out, trusting our gut was the best thing we could've done.  I keep thinking back to that moment and think about what I should've done differently but I really think that we did the best thing based on the way it turned out. We made it back to Nashville safely. My car was towed to the Acura dealership in Hunstville.

Most important thing---we were SAFE.  That's really all that matters. 

I'm leaving out some other details--like the initial tow truck driver that hung up on me, finding a tow truck driver that could tow my car without keys, etc. so the story could be longer but this is the basic gist of what happened.  I'm not sure I would call it an adventure but I definitely thought it was something that I should document to tell M&M when they get older.

I will NEVER forget a man named Jon Peeler. And, now I'm convinced that some angels drive white Mercedes.

COMING UP NEXT- Just excited for some normalcy...Titans pre-season starts, we have a party to attend for the Baptist NICU so that the nurses can see Mae and hopefully some cooler weather and some down time.

No comments: