5.10.2009

Can words really describe?

Happy Mother's Day! I'm not sure that words can really describe how lucky I feel to have the mother that I'm blessed with. Seriously, I think that is one area of my life that I can truly say "I got lucky".

Many of you know my mom and so you probably already know how absolutely wonderful she is...she really is the GREATEST. I thought I would do a little tribute on this Mother's Day to thank her for all the little things she does that make her so special. (Sometimes the little things are the ones that really matter, right?)

Here is the shortened list since I could probably go on forever:

  • She talks to me at 6:15 am every morning when I'm on my way home from the gym. Even though she is sometimes barely awake or not finished with her first cup of coffee, she lets me ramble on and acts like she is interested!
  • She also talks to me every day on my way home---we like to call it "the drive at 5"...it's so nice to know that I can count on that call after a long day at work...
  • She is always thinking of me (and those who are important to me)...like every time I come in town, she cooks meals that I love and sends homemade banana bread or cookie cake back with me for Phillip. Those are two of his favorite SuSu recipes.
  • She thinks I'm funny...I know this seems strange but I feel like I do make her laugh and she finds me amusing...I hope she knows that I find her just as hilarious! I mean ha-lar-ious.
  • She thinks of me when shopping. It's not uncommon for her to be in a store (especially TJ) and she will call if she finds something that she thinks I would like...I so appreciate that!
  • She reminds me to give Howie his heartworm pill on the 15th of every month.
  • She talks to Phillip and I together on speakerphone. Let me tell you, that takes patience. Not only is my speakerphone not very clear but sometimes, I think it wouldn't be that fun to listen to the two of us talk at the same time...she is always available for us.
  • She doesn't make me feel guilty when I buy things like Starbucks, shoes and expensive jeans...knowing that I don't "need" any of it...she still acts supportive:).
  • She reads my blog and actually comments on it too! (ha ha...)
  • She compliments me...this is important since I can say that not all mother's do this. If we go to an event like Jared's wedding, she will tell me how much she liked my dress or how great she thinks I looked. SO SWEET...who doesn't want to hear a compliment?
  • She does selfless things for me...like helping me clean out my attic or helping me move.
  • She watches reality TV...:) It's awesome because then we can gab about it!
  • She writes me notes...I love getting mail. My mom actually writes me thank you notes and sends me cards. I LOVE that.
    • These are just a very few of the MANY ways that she enhances my life. Of course, the biggest things are her love, support, friendship, thoughtfulness, empathy, compassion, devotion and dependability. But the "little things" can be just as meaningful at times.

      I think the one thing that really stands out is her true interest in my life---especially when it isn't that interesting at times! She will listen to the most trivial things and not make me feel trivial about them.

      So, I couldn't just say "Happy Mother's Day"...I had to tell her how much she means to me and how incredibly grateful I am to be her daughter.

      Happy Mother's Day, Mom! Love you!

      I'm still not sure that words can really describe...

      3 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      WOW!! Your blog entry is amazin! (ha, ha) Thanks....but that is just what Moms do! I actually feel like the lucky one. You (your sister and brother) make my Mother's Day special. Love you.

      Davis and Suzanne said...

      She is pretty great!!!!

      Dennis Legendre said...

      She is a very special Mom and wife!