4.25.2013

Meet Allison



It’s so hard to believe that at this time last year, I became a full-time, working mom.  Yes, a working mom!  Honestly, that was something that I never was set on doing but as my life unfolded, it became clear that it was the right path for me.  I had so much anxiety about leaving M&M. Besides missing them every day, I worried if I was making the right decision for them (and for me) and how I would handle it all emotionally. When I talk to most of my mommy friends about this topic, it seems that no matter what, all moms can relate to having those times when they feel like if they are working then they should stay home and if they stay home then they should be working. It’s such a tough call for women. For most men, it seems like an easy, natural thing (although I do know a few stay-at-home dad’s who I couldn’t respect more).  So, I remember feeling so apprehensive about this new chapter in my life a year ago and today I feel so thankful for how everything has transpired.

Besides having a supportive and encouraging husband, there is no doubt that I could do what I do on a daily basis without someone very special to us…meet Allison.

Prior to this point, I haven’t written too much about A (as we like to call herJ) not because I wanted to diminish her role in our lives but because I wanted to let our relationship progress with her naturally. (i.e. I didn’t want to freak her out with all the mushy stuff too soon!)

I know that at some point I won’t always remember the tactical details of how we met A, the hiring process, the interviews, correspondence, decision-making, etc. but I will always remember the connection that both Phillip and I had with her during our first meeting.  I felt so at ease and comfortable which for the first time, made me think that if there were people like Allison out there willing to care for my children then maybe I was making the right decision. She even came to our first meeting with a box of diapers, a hard-backed alphabet book for M&M, a binder that included her resume, references, meal plans, etc.—I mean you seriously can’t top that! Consummate professional.

In addition to her being more than qualified (daycare experience and attending nanny school), the main thing that Phillip and I both felt was just a sense about her that we seemed to adore right away.  In some ways, due to logistics, A was a risky choice for us but Phillip and I just kept going back to her no matter how easy other options became. I really think sometimes you just “know”.  Well, I’m pretty sure we “knew” and it was the best decision we ever made.

I can’t even touch on the long, long, long list of remarkable things that A provides to our family every single day (obviously loving/caring for our children but also patience, calmness, helpfulness, ideas, suggestions, comfort, reliance, structure, etc.), she provides me with something that I have come to realize is very important in life these days…BALANCE.  Because Allison has chosen to stay in our home and adore M&M, she gives me the opportunity to stay connected in the marketing career that I have chosen while juggling being a wife and a mom.  For that, I will never take her for granted.

Since unfortunately, I don’t live by my immediately family, I knew that it would be difficult to get used to the idea of having others keep our children but I also knew that it was an adjustment that I was going to have to make. Well, what I have come to realize is that we have truly gained another family member---Allison is a part of our family now and always will be.

I realize this post is long and sentimental but it’s important since this blog is M&Ms baby book and I want to be sure that we can both remember how we were feeling during different seasons in our life.

It’s crazy how much can change in a year!  And, I really never thought the relationship that I could have with our nanny could be so well-matched. I had heard stories of families who had experiences like this and I really did pray that it would work out for us but I’ve also heard negative stories that you can’t help but let creep into your thoughts.  I feel truly blessed every day.

To brag on Allison just a bit more, she is basically perfect in my eyes. I’m not sure if I can articulate it any clearer than to say that she is just so NORMAL.  I mean that as the highest compliment, I truly doJ!  She is so organized, realistic, efficient, professional and dependable yet she is so nurturing, compassionate, playful and loving to M&M.  She is truly a gem.  I don’t take one day for granted with her---her priorities are in order yet when I get home at the end of the day, she manages to make the house look straight and M&M are happy.  How could I ever ask for more?!  I know how hard her job is but I do feel like she has chosen the perfect career for her---it so natural to her and you can tell by the way she handles everything so effortlessly.  To make twins look effortless is pretty incredible!

And, the best bonus of all is I feel like she is truly a great friend to me—she is someone that I would love to hang out with regardless if I had kids or not. She is witty, sweet, creative, smart, insightful, uplifting, etc., etc. She has 3 sisters who are dear to her (but don’t live in Nashville) and of course, I have 1 sister who is very dear to me (but doesn’t live in Nashville) so I feel like we are pseudo-sisters in a way.  She is truly an amazing person to me and so wise beyond her years.  I was always hoping to find someone who would adore my kids like their own, who wanted to invest in them, be there for them long term and really care about their growth and well-being in life but I NEVER expected that I would gain a lifetime friend through this. I can certainly say that I have.

People say that “It takes a village”…I say “It just takes Allison."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that about says it all. How lucky for the Mize Family (and the entire family) that Allison came into our lives.